United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)
Expected start date: 12/01/2021
Sustainable Development Goal: RESPONSIBLE CONSUMPTION AND PRODUCTION
Volunteer category: National UN Youth Volunteer
DoA reserved for persons with disabilities: No
Number of assignments: 1
This position will be based within the GEF Team, Economy Division, UNEP office based in Gigiri Nairobi. This position will be supervised under the Fund Management Officer within the GEF team. The key functions are performed under a broad partnership with multiple sectors at the national and devolved units which requires individual flexibility and adaptation skills.
Under the direct supervision of the Programme Budget Officer, the UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
1. Provide support with regard to the review, analysis and preparation of the project budgets and the revisions.
2. Prepare supporting documents (narrative and supporting tables) with respect to GEF submissions and UNEP Programme of Work.
3. Assist in preparing contractual documents for Executing Agencies.
4. Monitor expenditures and compare with approved budgets; prepare adjustments as necessary.
5. Assist in preparation of budget performance submissions and finalization of budget performance reports, analyse variances between approved budgets and actual ex-penditures.
6. Monitor integrity of various financial databases.
7. Verify accuracy of input data, ensuring consistency of data.
8. Periodic reconciliation of accounts.
9. Review cash advance requests and upon certification by the fund management of-ficer prepare payments for final disbursement by cashier.
10. Review incoming expenditure reports and upon certification by the fund management officer input in relevant databases/systems.
11. Notify payees on status of payments.
12. Assist fund management officers regarding queries on budget, payment and deposit related issues and draft related correspondence.
13. Maintain updated files and archives as required.
14. Prepare project completion and closing revisions including all supporting documents.
15. Perform other related duties as assigned.
Candidate must be a national or legal resident of the country of assignment.
0 years of experience in finance, budget, and accounting is required. 0-3 years relevant experience Solid computer skills including full proficiency in various MS Office applications (Excel, Word, PowerPoint etc) and other IT applications and office technology equipment is required.
Area(s) of expertise
Economics and finance
English, Level: Fluent, Required French, Level: Working knowledge, Desirable
Required education level
Master degree or equivalent in Finance, Accounting or a related field A recognized accountancy qualification (e.g. Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), Chartered Institute of Public Finance Accountants (CIPFA) is required
Competencies and values
Accountability Adaptability and Flexibility Commitment to Continuous Learning Communication Planning and Organizing Professionalism Respect for Diversity Working in Teams
Living conditions and remarks
The Republic of Kenya is an equatorial nation on the coast of East Africa, neighbouring So-malia, Ethiopia, Sudan, Uganda, Tanzania, and the Indian Ocean. Kenya has two levels of Government; National Government and 47 sub-national Governments called Counties. Coun-ties are further divided into sub-counties. Kenya is a multi-party state with Executive, Legisla-tive, and Judicial branches. Kenya’s population of more than 40 million is growing at an annu-al rate of 2.2%. The country’s GNP per capita estimated at purchasing power parity (PPP) is $975, and the GNP is growing at an average rate of 0.1% annually. More than 26% of Ken-ya’s people live below the international poverty line of $1 per day. Kenya’s main food crops are “maize, wheat, pulses, roots and tubers.” (FAO). Nairobi is a modern metropolitan city where most basic goods and services, health facilities, public transport, telecommunication and banking services and educational facilities are readi-ly available. The city is widely connected through its main airport, Jomo Kenyatta Internation-al Airport and the smaller Wilson Airport. Air transport is also available to many up-country destinations. The city is home to some 3,000 UN personnel mainly attributed to the fact that it serves as the headquarters for both the UN HABITAT and UNEP. The socio-economic and cultural background of the immediate society the UNV would be living and working in is diverse and prevailing security conditions at the place of assignment is modest. The topographic and climatic features of the assignment location is highland cool and warm tropical climate.
United Nations Volunteers is an equal opportunity programme that welcomes applications from qualified professionals. We are committed to achieving diversity in terms of gender, care protected characteristics. As part of their adherence to the values of UNV, all UN Volunteers commit themselves to combat any form of discrimination, and to promoting respect for human rights and individual dignity, without distinction of a person’s race, sex, gender identity, religion, nationality, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, age, language, social origin or other status
To apply for this job please visit app.unv.org.