Deadline for submission: 16 April 2021
The Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), the World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE), the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and the World Health Organization (WHO) (collectively, the “Partners”) are seeking individuals to serve as experts on the One Health High-Level Expert Panel (OHHLEP).
Recognizing the complex and multidisciplinary issues raised by the interface of human, animal and ecosystem health (“One Health”) that require enhanced coordination and collaboration among sectors and agencies, nationally and internationally, the Partners have agreed to establish the OHHLEP to assist them in their support to Governments in the framework of the Partners’ One Health collaboration. The functions of the OHHLEP are set out in its Terms of Reference.
The OHHLEP will be multidisciplinary, with experts who have a range of technical knowledge, skills and experience relevant to One Health. The working language of the OHHLEP will be English.
The Partners welcome expressions of interest from experts representing the broad range of disciplines relevant to One Health, and in science and policy-related sectors and disciplines relevant to the tasks of the OHHLEP, i.e.:
- emerging infectious diseases and zoonoses;
- viral diversity, surveillance and risk assessment for emerging pandemic threats;
- infectious disease epidemiology, prevention and control;
- biodiversity, wildlife and ecosystems health;
- health systems policy and practice and pandemic preparedness;
- food systems and their interlinkages with health;
- social, economic and behavioural sciences relating to One Health;
- disciplines in informatics, modelling, prediction and foresight relevant to assessing impacts of environmental and other changes on emerging diseases and health;
- climate and environment.
Process for selection of experts
The curriculum vitae and expression of interest of applicants will be reviewed by a panel composed of officials from the Partners. In addition to scientific and technical excellence, the selection will take in consideration adequate distribution of technical expertise, geographical representation and gender balance. The Partners shall not in any way be obliged to reveal, or discuss with any applicant, how an expression of interest was assessed, or to provide any other information relating to the evaluation/selection process or to state the reasons for not choosing a candidate.
Selected experts will be appointed jointly by the respective Heads of the Partners.
Conditions of appointment
OHHLEP Experts must respect the impartiality and independence required by the Partners. They will be required to be free of any real, potential or apparent conflicts of interest. OHHLEP Experts will have an ongoing obligation to disclose any interests, real or perceived, that may give rise to a real, potential or apparent conflict of interest.
OHHELP Experts will serve in their individual expert capacity and shall not represent any governments, any commercial industries or entities, any research, academic or civil society organizations, or any other bodies, entities, institutions or organizations.
OHHLEP Experts will not be employees or agents of the Partners and shall not speak on behalf of, or represent, the Partners, individually or collectively, to any third party. OHHLEP Experts may not issue any publications on behalf of the OHHLEP and/or the Partners.
OHHLEP Experts shall be appointed for a period of two years and shall be eligible for reappointment.
OHHLEP Experts will not be remunerated for their services in relation to the OHHELP or otherwise. However, the Partners will cover any expenses related to the experts’ participation in in-person meetings of the OHHLEP.
To register your interest in being considered for the OHHLEP, please submit the following documents by 16 April 24:00h (midnight) CET to 1Health@who.int cc: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line “Expression of interest for the OHHLEP”:
- A cover letter, indicating your motivation to apply and how you satisfy the selection criteria (maximum 500 words). Please note that, if selected, you are required to serve the OHHLEP in a personal capacity.
- Your curriculum vitae (maximum 500 words); and
- A signed and completed Declaration of Interests (DOI) form, available at https://www.who.int/about/ethics/declarations-of-interest.
If you have any questions about this Call For Experts, please write to 1Health@who.int, well before the applicable deadline. Applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
Links to this announcement in the other partner websites
To apply for this job please visit who.int.