CHIEF RADIOLOGIST REF: TNH/HRD/CR/07/21
Reporting to Director, Medical Services & Research, the successful candidate will be responsible for providing oversight in leading the Radiology Department and ensure production, interpretation, and delivery of quality radiology diagnostic services in line with established protocols and the hospital’s strategic objectives.
- The Chief Radiologist will be expected to manage the department to maintain timely and efficient patient flow in line with Hospital targets while ensuring staffing levels at all times.
- Develop, review, and ensure adherence to radiology protocols and standards in consultation with other clinical departments to ensure quality interpretation of radiographic images to provide proper accurate diagnosis and treatment to the consumers of the service
- Ensure efficient production of quality radiography imaging services in line with established protocols and in collaboration with the Chief Radiographer to achieve accurate diagnosis.
- Ensure timely and accurate review and interpretation of radiographic images by the radiology team to ensure accurate diagnosis and treatment in line with established protocols.
- Communicate and discuss radiography test results with other physicians to seek second opinion to validate and provide accurate imaging findings.
- Carry out and manage special radiological procedures and provide technical advice on findings for appropriate diagnosis and treatment.
- Provide technical oversight and mentorship to junior consultants and doctors and offer second opinion as may be required to improve patient care.
- Identify professional development gaps and ensure implementation of appropriate professional development interventions for the radiology team to ensure the team has the right skills and exposure to best practices.
- Responsible for setting, monitoring, and evaluating key performance indicators for the team.
- In liaison with the Director, Medical Services & Research, prepare departmental annual plans that are aligned to the Hospital’s strategic plan.
- Keep abreast local and global best practices in radiology and make recommendations to the Medical Director on how these impacts the hospital.
- Recommend the purchase of equipment and supplies as well as report any repair and maintenance of the equipment in a timely manner to ensure optimal operation.
- Manage the radiation exposure to radiology staff to ensure that it remains within the recommended maximum limits as per the Atomic Agency guidelines.
- Manage implementation of all hospital approved quality management systems including ISO standards, environmental management system (EMS), occupational health and safety
OH&S), and JCIA among others to ensure full compliance of the radiology department to the guidelines.
- Identify, deploy, and motivate the radiology specialists’ team including performance appraisal, identification of training needs, mentorship and coaching as well as leave and absence management in line with the hospital’s human resource manuals.
- Be able to participate in the hospital general radiology rota with the provision for tele radiology interactions using a broadband provision among radiologists and radiographers.
- Ability to work well in a multidisciplinary environment including attending and participating in multidisciplinary clinical meetings Tumor Board and Mortality meetings etc.
- Play an active role in the management and organization of the radiology department and participate in teaching, researching and audit.
- Have the ability to lead when appropriate and work independently with no or little supervision and supervise others.
- Show evidence of personal development through publications and research in the field of radiology.
- Any other responsibilities that may be assigned to the job holder by the supervisor from time to time.
- Master’s degree in Radiology from a recognized institution.
- Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery degree from a recognized institution.
- Must be registered with the Kenya Medical Practitioners and Dentist Council and hold a valid practicing license.
- Minimum of 10 years’ radiology experience preferably in a hospital environment with 5 years at management level.
- Specialization in a field of radiology will be an added advantage.
- Ability to review and interpret radiographic images
- Imaging skills including MRI, Ultrasound and CT Scan
- Ability to develop and ensure implementation of radiology protocols, and standard operating procedure manuals.
- Knowledge of radiation safety standards
- Knowledge of quality management systems related to radiography
- Leadership skills
- People management skills
- Patient care skills
- Budget preparation skills
- Inventory management and control skills
- Attention to details
- Customer service skills
- Planning and organizing skills
- Ability to mentor
- Communication skills including facilitation and presentation skills
- Team player.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision.
How to Apply
If your background, experience and competence match the above specifications, please send us your application (cover letter & CV/Resume) quoting the job reference number, your current remuneration, testimonials and full contact details of 3 referees, to reach the undersigned not later than 23rd July 2021. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. We shall ONLY accept ONLINE applications and contact SHORTLISTED candidates.
The Nairobi Hospital does NOT charge recruitment fees.
Director Human Resources & Operations
The Nairobi Hospital
P. O. Box 30026 – 00100