SYSTEMS LIBRARIAN JOB
REPORTS TO: Chief Librarian
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Contract
Ensure high quality, robust library systems that facilitate research, discovery and delivery of Library services and resources to the entire university and ensure proper management of information technology used in a Library.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (Detailed JD will be given on appointment)
- Maintaining the library’s local area network and maintain links with the wide area network.
- Maintaining the library computer software and hardware.
- Training staff and students on use of library systems and software’s
- Maintaining the Library website and database.
- Analyse user needs, formulate and implement solutions.
- Provide routine troubleshooting of the hardware and software.
- Updating and upgrading library systems, software’s and interfaces to meet user requirements.
- Oversee the implementation and management of new library and information management systems
- Work closely with the IT department, the Web team, and Collection staff, to manage Collection and E-resources
Tests new software versions
- Troubleshoots issues related to Collection databases and web output
- Create and maintain reports from Collection databases
- Identify and analyze existing and emerging needs for new applications or systems
- Assists in the formulation and implementation of policies and procedures, particularly in the area of systems development.
- Work with ICT department on user problems related to personal computer (desktop computers), network infrastructure, and software.
- Retain inventory records of library hardware and software.
- Any other duties as assigned by the Chief Librarian.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Sciences and a diploma in Computer science or IT (or vice versa).
- Served in the position for a minimum period of three (3) years.
- Competency in both LINUX and windows operating systems.
SKILLS, ABILITIES AND COMPETENCIES
- Ability to upgrade, update and administrate over the Library Management System KOHA and DSPACE institutional repository.
- Good skills in HTML, CSS, Python, Linux Shell, MySQL and Perl programming languages.
- Competency in Apache and tomcat webservers.
- Demonstrated knowledge of digital content and metadata standards, such as Dublin Core.
- Knowledge of scholarly communication issues, Open Access initiatives, copyright issues, and new forms of publication and research.
METHOD OF APPLICATION
Applicants should enclose a letter of introduction, curriculum vitae, copies of relevant certification certificate of good conduct and three (3) reference letters from recognized persons/institutions by 28th June 2021, indicating your daytime contacts to:
The Human Resources Manager,
Tangaza University College
P.O. Box 15055-00509
E-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Tangaza University College is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin or disability.
NB: ONLY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED AND GIVEN A COPY OF THE DETAILED JOB DESCRIPTION. PLEASE INDICATE THE POSITION APPLIED AS SUBJECT OF THE EMAIL.