International Foundation for Electoral Systems (IFES)
Job Type: Full Time
Job Field: Project Management
Division: Program Management
Status: Local National Employee
Position Number: 21:370
The Senior Program Officer (SPO) is an advanced professional position at IFES p roviding tactical support to the program division. IFES Kenya is seeking to recruit a SPO to strengthen the delivery of its activities with regard to key Government of Kenya elections stakeholders. Specific duties will include development, technical, administrative and financial management support and oversight.
Major Duties And Responsibilities :
• Serve as primary interface with Ag. Country Director and local staff to implement KESP project
• Achieve project requirements within budget, established time frame, standards of quality, and funder satisfaction.
• Provides effective support to management of the KESP programme
• Prepare thoroughly researched information for formulation of KESP programme with key partners like the Elections Management Body and other Government of Kenya Agencies including through the preparation of project documents’ drafts, work plans, budgets, proposals on implementation arrangements.
• Prepare budgets, review and approve field expense reports, wire requests, field WTRs, vendor and consultant payments, etc.
• Responsible for oversight, critical review and reporting of project financials in partnership with Finance team.
• Establish, maintain, and develop productive working relationship with field staff, subordinates, consultants at large, and other departments within IFES HQ.
• Provides support in creation of KESP strategic partnerships and implementation of the resource mobilization strategy
• Contribute and inform on program design, knowledge of tools towards implementation of projects, contribute to Knowledge Management and thought leadership, collection of resources and KMI.
• Work with Monitoring and Evaluation team to design and determine indicators, and that the field has the tools they need to monitor progress made towards indicators, periodically check in with team on data collection and that progress is being made toward meeting objectives and share experience with regional teams.
• Makes research of contacts in the media, government, private sector, donors, other agencies, civil society in other stakeholders for KESP’s advocacy efforts
• Troubleshoot project problems.
• Identify and implement creative solutions.
• Monitor pending IFES grant/contract actions and modifications and coordinate timely action and response.
• Travel to field office to monitor project activities.
• Participate in proposal development/new initiative process.
• Provide constructive feedback and proactive management.
• Offer input into performance of Country Director.
• Work with IFES Kenya Operations Department to ensure timely acquisition and delivery of project activities and services.
• Support the process of designing and implementing subawards.
• Contribute to the drafting of the quality of monthly/quarterly reports.
• Provide input into annual workplans, PMPs, and other programmatic reports.
• Develop a sound understanding of IFES technical areas and on the relevant region/country.
Other duties as assigned.
• Position Scope: Provide varied support functions and perform moderately complex job duties requiring knowledge of proposal development, program management, donor interface, and research and development initiatives. Contribution to program planning, development and management. Manage work activities with internal and external partners to help ensure management oversight.
• Decision Making/Problem Solving : Multi-factor decision-making requiring research and analysis, subject to supervisory guidance. Analyze and interpret issues, propose and implement solutions relying on knowledge of professional standards, principles and sound judgement. Initiate contact with staff in other departments to exchange substantive information and coordinates activities necessary to achieve work goals. Authority to make decisions on issues of program design, delegations to junior staff, and financial oversight for assigned projects.
• Fiscal Responsibility : Participate in project budget planning. Critical review and reporting of project financials in partnership with Finance. Authority to research, negotiate, and recommend purchases of materials, equipment and logistical arrangements.
• Relationships : Develop and maintain collaborative relationships, which require highly-developed interpersonal skills, involving active listening and problem solving, to assure desired outcomes. Seek opportunities to improve working relationships and work outcomes with internal and external partners.
• SUPERVISION EXERCISED : Supervise entry level or professional positions. Participate in planning and implementing work activities with internal and external partners and contribute to evaluation of results.
• Education: Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s Degree in international relations, political science, international development preferred
• Experience: Minimum of 6 years of overall work experience in the international development sector. Experience with budget management and oversight of large single project or multiple small projects. Experience with managing and providing guidance and supervision to employees.
• Related Skills or Knowledge: Experience with program management and design. Knowledgeable and experienced with the Foreign Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) of the United Kingdom (UK) grant and contract proposals, regulations, and procedures. Familiarity with FCDO and other international donors and key program personnel. Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Excel required. Strong written and verbal communication skills are required. Field experience desirable.
• Language Skills: English required. Proficiency in Kiswahili a plus.
• Travel: Travel up to 10% of time
• Physical Requirements/Work Environment
• Standard office work environment, with occasional field travel. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
To apply for this job please visit www.vs4.vscyberhosting.com.