To support programme staff to prepare and disseminate information relating to Concern Kenya programme in order to increase Concern’s influence, visibility and public engagement. This is done by presenting our work in innovative ways through various media (electronic and others). The jobholder will work in line with Concern’s strategies, policies and procedures for media, visibility and communications.
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
• Develop and implement annual communication and visibility plans in order to raise Concern’s profile, donor visibility, learning and fundraising efforts
• Manage Concern’s digital and social media accounts, monitor the feedback from audiences and provide necessary responses based on Concern communication procedures
• Produce/coordinate production of IEC materials on Concern Kenya programmes for sharing programme information with various stakeholders
• Produce written and audio/visual content which promotes impact of Concern’s work on programme participants
• Develop/coordinate development of high quality written and audio-visual content that is, relevant, compelling and interesting for a variety of external and internal online and offline audiences
• Travel to programme implementation areas to collect media and communication content, create visibility and support media coverage of Concern programmes.
• Manage all external communication (visits, requests, events etc.) with a lens of quality oversight and Concern branding
• Build and maintain relationships with national media contacts in Concern’s areas of operation
• Train programme staff and partners in basic communications skills (story gathering, case studies, photography, videography etc.)
• Develop appropriate process, systems, storage and archiving for in country communications materials whether written or visual
• Ensure all documentation and communications are in line with the Concern’s communication guidelines for images, messages, print, electronic or social media
• Prepare progress on Concern’s communication outputs and results
• Provide all necessary communication and media support for Concern’s emergency response, as and when necessary
• Any other media and communications related duties as may be assigned by the line manager from time to time
Concern Code of Conduct and Associated Policies:
• Adhere to the standards of conduct outlined in the Concern Code of Conduct & Associated Policies
• Support and promote the standards outlined in the Code of Conduct & Associated Policies to the team, partner organizations and beneficiaries, and be committed to providing a safe working environment
In line with Concern’s commitments under the Core Humanitarian Standard (CHS):
• Actively promote meaningful community participation and consultation at all stages of the project cycle (planning, implementation, M&E);
• Work with relevant colleagues to ensure that the Complaints and Response Mechanism (CRM) is functional and accessible, that feedback and complaints are welcomed and addressed;
• Work with relevant colleagues to ensure that information about CRM, safeguarding and expected staff behaviour is disseminated among programme participants and communities.
Education, Qualifications & Experience Required
• Bachelor’s Degree in Media, Communication, Journalism, Digital Media or related discipline
• Five (5) years’ experience in media and communication such as producing written and audio-visual content, graphic design/publication designing preferably in the humanitarian sector
• One year experience of managing digital and social media pages of a humanitarian organization
• Ability to synthesise complex advocacy, policy and programme response approaches into audience led briefing papers, media Q&A documents and key messages
• Excellent communication & interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to build good relationships internally and externally for effective teamwork
• Ability to work in an organized manner and achieve objectives
• Ability to prioritise, review priorities and manage multiple priorities to meet tight deadlines where required
• Excellent professional writing, editing and photography skills.
• Excellent networking, coordination, analytical and problem solving skills
• Competency in the use of designing software is a plus
• Fluent in both spoken and written English and Kiswahili
Concern has an organizational Code of Conduct (CCoC) with three Associated Policies; the Programme Participant Protection Policy (P4), the Child Safeguarding Policy and the Anti-Trafficking in Persons Policy. These have been developed to ensure the maximum protection of programme participants from exploitation, and to clarify the responsibilities of Concern staff, consultants, visitors to the programme and partner organization, and the standards of behaviour expected of them. In this context, staff have a responsibility to the organization to strive for, and maintain, the highest standards in the day-to-day conduct in their workplace in accordance with Concern’s core values and mission. Any candidate offered a job with Concern Worldwide will be expected to sign the Concern Staff Code of Conduct and Associated Policies as an appendix to their contract of employment. By signing the Concern Code of Conduct, candidates acknowledge that they have understood the content of both the Concern Code of Conduct and the Associated Policies and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these policies. Additionally, Concern is committed to the safeguarding and protection of vulnerable adults and children in our work. We will do everything possible to ensure that only those who are suitable to work or volunteer with vulnerable adults and children are recruited by us for such roles. Subsequently, working or volunteering with Concern is subject to a range of vetting checks, including criminal background checking.
Concern’ is the trading name of ‘Concern Worldwide’, a company limited by guarantee, registered number 39647; registered charity number CHY 5745, registered in Ireland, registered address is 52-55 Lower Camden Street, Dublin 2, Ireland. Follow Concern
How to apply
Interested candidates, who meet the above requirements, should send a detailed CV with three referees and Cover Letter Only to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject of the email as ‘Senior Officer -**Media and Communications**’ on or before Tuesday 21 December, 2021.Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview.