Senior Consultant – Impact Assessment (Mid-Senior Level)
ERM is seeking an experienced and motivated Impact Assessment Senior Consultant/Project Managear with an environmental and social consulting background to manage and deliver ESIA and Due Diligence projects. The ideal candidate will have a proven track record leading and delivering on ESIA and E&S Due Diligence projects in compliance with international best practice for multinational clients across sub-Saharan Africa. In this role, you will be based in Nairobi, Kenya or Dar es Salaam, Tanzania; with opportunities to travel internationally.
This is a great opportunity for a senior professional looking to advance their career with a global sustainability leader, while managing project teams that deliver world-class ESIAs and due diligence activities across the globe.
• Serve as Project Manager for social and environmental impact assessment (ESIA), management planning and due diligence projects and related activities in support of ERM clients’ international development projects, with a primary focus on the energy, infrastructure, mining, oil and gas, andagribusiness sectors.
• Lead preparation of ESIAs and associated management plans in compliance with international best practice standards (e.g., IFC Performance Standards, World Bank ESS, Equator Principles) as well as country-specific requirements and general best practices where these specific standards do not apply.
• Direct and monitor project management activities related to ESIA/ESMP/DD projects, including task delegation and direction, subcontractor management, health & safety protocol management, monitoring of commercial performance, deliverable quality review, and interaction with clients.
• Contribute to preparing quality E&S deliverables, serving in roles ranging from technical expert to quality review. Expected project delivery activities include report writing, undertaking and organizing data collection and survey field work, data and literature review, impact and risk analysis, management and mitigation planning, and development of recommendations for clients.
• Lead and/or deliver on E&S audits for transactional due diligence projects.
• Collaborate with other ERM global practitioners to execute impact assessment and management projects. Participate on teams comprised of Impact Assessment Practitioners (IAPs) from multiple offices around the global ERM organization.
• Mentor junior-level and mid-level consulting staff (including those with introductory levels of impact assessment experience) to develop their skill sets in the IAP/ESMP/DD service areas.
• Contribute to proposal development, including development of technical scopes and cost estimates. Maintain client relationships to support repeat business. Note: This role will have a sales based KPI in addition to project delivery KPIs.
• Work with other global ERM resources to deepen relationships with ERM key clients to expand ERM’s profile and market share in the global IAP market (through a combination of excellence in technical delivery and business development support).
• Bachelors Degree in environmental science/engineering or similar; Masters or PhD beneficial.
• 8-10 years of environmental and social consulting experience, including successfully managing projects and teams on ESIAs/ESMPs and due diligence activities in sub-Saharan Africa.
• Registration with relevant government authorities as lead practitioner (i.e NEMA/NEMC) is beneficial but not compulsory to the successful candidate.
• Strong technical E&S experience linking to priority sectors including energy, infrastructure and extractives.
• Understanding of relevant international E&S Safeguards and Standards, i.e. IFC Performance Standards, Equator Principles, World Bank ESS.
• Demonstrable experience in project management of complex capital projects.
• Commercial acumen, business development and client relationship building skills.
• Commitment to health and safety excellence.
• Experience using data and technology to solve clients E&S challenges.
• Willingness to travel regionally.
• Ability to work under pressure, juggling multiple responsibilities.
• Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written).
• Fluent in English, capable of excellent report writing.
• Language capabilities in French, Portuguese or other sub-Saharan African languages is not compulsory, but certainly an advantage to the applying candidate.
• This is a full time staff role, subject to a six month probationary period.
To apply for this job please visit erm.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com.