Kiva (kiva.org) is an international nonprofit with a mission to expand financial access to help underserved communities thrive. We run a global marketplace platform to crowdfund microloans for financially excluded entrepreneurs, farmers and students around the world. Through Kiva Capital, we serve as a bridge between large scale impact first investors and underserved populations. Our digital identity platform enables borrowers who don’t have a track record with traditional financial institutions to record and verify their financial history and gain access to less costly mainstream financial markets.
Our organization combines the culture and technological passion of an internet start-up with the compassion and empathy of a non-profit to create impact and opportunity at global scale. Since 2005, we have raised more than $1.66 billion in loan capital for 4.1 million borrowers in 77 countries. Our lenders fund over $10 million in loans every month. With offices in San Francisco, Portland, New York, Nairobi, and Bangkok, Kiva’s team includes 100+ employees and 400+ volunteers worldwide. Our team is growing as we pursue exciting new opportunities to create a financially inclusive world.
The Risk Analyst will be a key member of the dynamic and growing Impact Investments team, reporting to the Senior Director of Risk and working closely with the Risk team and Kiva’s global team of investment professionals. The Risk Analyst will be responsible for monitoring risk metrics and trends for the countries, sectors, and institutions in which Kiva is invested through both Marketplace and Kiva Capital. The Analyst will be a vital support to the Risk team, and various other investment staff, in making informed decisions to monitor, assess, manage and communicate risk. The ideal candidate is a flexible and positive team player who is passionate about Kiva’s mission and is able to think about risk and impact dynamically across a diversity of investment products and a broad range of stakeholders. This role will operate in support of a diverse portfolio of impact investment products, including Marketplace’s crowdfunded product and Kiva Capital’s institutional lending product.
This is an ideal role for a versatile analytical thinker who is detail-oriented and can tackle lots of different types of tasks. The candidate will enjoy collaborating in a cross-functional and geographically dispersed environment to ensure adherence to risk policies and procedures. Experience and interest in zooming out and also focusing on details is key – the desire to both identify and manage risk at a country- and institution-level while also carrying out day to day operational risk work.
At this time, we can only consider applicants with authorization to work in the United States or Kenya on a permanent, full-time basis; unfortunately we cannot provide visa sponsorship.
Key responsibilities include:
• Support all ongoing Marketplace risk processes working closely with the Senior Risk Manager
• Participate in and support Partner Watch meetings focused on monitoring and managing credit risk issues related to high risk partners
• Maintain and update risk reports and data dashboards; become an expert on risk data in Looker and Salesforce
• Maintain and update internal country risk scoring and metrics tools on a semi-annual basis
• Liaise with internal stakeholders to manage quarterly and annual investee monitoring processes
• Own and update tracker file used across teams for managing monitoring deliverables
• Monitor risk metrics and highlight emerging risk issues and trends to the Risk team and relevant investment team staff
• Provide general support in managing internal tools, models and resources used for financial analysis
• Support the team in analyzing and evaluating the risk profiles of new investments and credit asks
• Assist with the periodic review and approval of Marketplace and Kiva Capital risk scoring models
• Liaise with the team’s Knowledge and Policy Manager for all risk-related internal policy and procedure updates
• Provide support on projects related to the knowledge management and a variety of risk management projects
• 2-3+ years of work experience in credit risk, risk management, economics, finance or a related area
• Training or experience in financial statement or credit risk analysis
• Experience in, or exposure to, international investments, business or operations
• Advanced knowledge of spreadsheets; experience with managing, manipulating and understanding large quantities of data
• Exposure to or training in country risk analysis
• Ability to manage time well and prioritize across competing tasks with various points of contact
• Experience with business analytics software/platforms; ability to learn new technologies quickly
• Ability to communicate effectively, build relationships and work across teams in a cross-functional environment
• Experience and interest in zooming out while also focusing on details
• Experience working with geographically distributed teams a strong plus
• Experience in impact investing / microfinance a plus
• Fluency in Spanish (and/or Arabic, French, Portuguese, or Russian) a plus
• Autonomous, entrepreneurial, and self-motivated. Effective while working remotely
What we offer:
• An opportunity to improve real lives, solve hard problems, and change the world
• Friendly, supportive, and adventurous environment with a team of engaged colleagues
• A comprehensive, industry-leading benefits package
• Opportunities to connect with and learn from colleagues and partners around the world
• Salary range for Colorado $65K – $75K
A diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is an integral part of Kiva’s culture. We actively welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a great place to work. Join us and help us achieve our mission!
We will only accept applications directly from candidates. Kiva will not be responsible for any recruiting agency fees, absent a formal agreement.
To apply for this job please visit boards.greenhouse.io.