Re-Advertisement: Climate Scientist
The COVID-19 pandemic continues to be a global challenge. Due to the fluidity of the situation, we periodically reassess our plans to reopen our offices. For the safety of our employees, our approach is tailored to the situation in each of the 30 countries we operate in. Travel is only conducted when absolutely necessary and safe to do so. Hiring managers will provide guidance on remote, hybrid, or on-site work arrangements in accordance with country-specific safety policies.
Conservation International (CI) has been protecting nature for the benefit of all for over 30 years. Through science, policy, and partnerships, CI is helping build a healthier, more prosperous, and more productive planet.
Recently, the Global Environment Facility (GEF) approved a US$5.7 million program to boost the capacity of four member states of the Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA) to effectively track and report their progress in tackling climate change in line with their commitments under the Paris Climate Agreement. The project includes a $4.2million grant from the GEF and a $1.546 million co-financing from partners.
Led by Conservation International, a GEF Implementing Agency, in partnership with COMESA, the Regional Centre for Mapping of Resources for Development (RCMRD), The Gaborone Declaration for Sustainability in Africa (GDSA), and Governments of Comoros, Eritrea, Seychelles, and Zambia, the five-year Capacity Building Initiative for Transparency (CBIT) program will strengthen the capacity of COMESA Member States to comply with transparency requirements of the Paris Agreement. This is by establishment an Eastern and Southern Africa Regional CBIT transparency framework for Monitoring, Reporting and Verification (MRV) of climate actions, report on Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs), and knowledge dissemination
• With supervision from the Senior Regional Director, Conservation Science; the Climate Scientist will manage the day-to-day implementation of the CI-COMESA Regional CBIT program.
• Carry out proper planning, monitoring, and timely reporting of project outcomes.
• Inspire, motivate and participate in the execution of day-to-day project activities.
• Support project operational and financial management.
• Work with project partners and stakeholders to ensure project buy-in, ownership, and active participation by national and regional partners and stakeholders.
• Represent Conservation International and the CI-COMESA Regional CBIT program at relevant meetings.
• Frequently communicate project progress and updates to partners, stakeholders, and colleagues to maintain rapport and project visibility.
• Ensure project sustainability by supporting resource mobilization, and strengthening partnerships.
• Ensure compliance with CI policies, funding agreements, and local legislation requirements.
• Contribute to internal CI networks and teams of teams.
• Perform related duties as assigned.
• This position is based in Nairobi, Kenya.
• Travel of 40% or more as needed.
• Ability to work under minimal supervision.
• Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Science related field with at least 4 to 6 years of work experience with different sectors in sub-Saharan Africa.
• Must have knowledge and at least 4-years’ experience at conducting training and other capacity development tasks.
• Must have knowledge and at least 4-years’ experience in GHG monitoring, reporting and verification, and related fields.
• Must possess wide knowledge and understanding of climate issues.
• Must be self-driven, and able to deliver outcomes within a tight timeline under minimal supervision.
• Must have excellent communication and social skills and a demonstrable capacity for high-level engagement with partners in government, local partners, and other institutions.
• The candidate must possess a great personality, and be a team player able to work in a diverse and multicultural environment with different stakeholders and partners.
• An advanced degree.
• Should possess strong knowledge and experience in project management including both technical and financial management.
To apply for this job please visit phh.tbe.taleo.net.