Temporary Finance Accountant
Plan International is a rights-based development and humanitarian organization working for better lives for all children. We are independent of government and have no political or religious affiliation. Our purpose is to strive for a just world that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We have been building powerful partnerships for children for more than 80 years, and are now active in more than 70 countries. Our global strategy has a specific focus on girls, as they are often the most marginalized and most often left behind. We have committed ourselves to the ambitious target of reaching 100 million girls over 5 years, to ensure they can learn, lead, decide and thrive. This is our contribution to reaching the sustainable development goals, and in particular the goals on gender equality. Our organization is transforming itself to meet this enormous challenge everywhere we work. We need bold, forward-thinking and innovative individuals to lead our country operations, driving change and delivering results that will allow us to reach our target of 100 million girls.
With approximately 38 years of experience in implementing its programme, Plan International Kenya (PIK) mainly operates in 10 geographical areas; Nairobi, Machakos, Kajiado, Tharaka-Nithi, Siaya, Kwale, Kilifi, Homa Bay, Kisumu and Tana River.
Plan International Kenya Strategy statement
Plan International Kenya’s strategic goal in the next five years is to end teenage pregnancies and end gender-based violence against adolescent girls and young women. We aim to help create an enabling environment where girls and young women are safe, valued, equally cared for, and have equal opportunities. PIK will contribute to the global strategy by aiming to reach approximately 3 million (tbc) girls and Young Women directly over the period of the strategy 2022-2026 and to reach additional beneficiaries through its interventions.
Finance and Grants Accountant will support implementation of accounting and financial management functions at the Program unit office and ensure compliance with Plan policies, procedures and donor requirements.
The position holder will provide supports in the development, implementation and monitoring of the Grants and Sponsorship budgets in the Country Office.
ACCOUNTABILITIES AND MAIN WORK ACTIVITIES
Financial Data Cleansing (60%)
- Review all the balance sheet accounts with open items and identify pending items.
- Analyse pending items and correctly clear them as per guidance provided.
- Continuously review the accounts and ensure they are kept clean during by the end of each month.
- Support in monthly bank and Mpesa reconciliations and follow-ups of any reconciling items.
- As part of data cleansing, track and resolve a brought forward reconciling item for the Country Office Mpesa account by back
Financial Reporting and Period-End processes (35%)
- Support in the preparation of year-end by preparing and consolidation of allocated year-balance sheet schedules and reports
- Review Trial Balance and prepare audit schedules for audit.
- Extract and review sampled documents as requested by various auditors.
- Support payment transactions as guided
Safeguarding Children and Young People (Safeguarding) and Gender Equality and Inclusion (GEI) (5%)
Understands and puts into practice the responsibilities under Safeguarding and GEI policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC), ensuring that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures.
Technical expertise, skills and knowledge
Qualifications/ experience essential:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance/Accounting related courses.
- CPA Part 2 or other equivalent professional qualification in accounting
- 3 years relevant accounting experience preferably in an INGO of which 2 years should be in a similar position.
- Knowledge of finance processes, systems and principles.
- Experience in computerised accounting applications.
Qualifications/ experience desirable:
- Previous experience in SAP or ERP
- Analytical skills
- Administration and effective communication skills
- Ability to work and interact with others at all levels
Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.plan-international.org.