NEWS EDITOR-BROADCAST JOB
Nation Media Group PLC seeks to recruit experienced and self-motivated individuals to fill the position of a News Editor in the Nation Broadcasting Division.
Reporting to and working closely with the Managing Editor-Broadcast, the News Editor will be responsible for the coordination of news gathering operations of the NTV newsroom, ensuring that the coverage is competitive, comprehensive and meets established editorial objectives, journalistic ethics, house style and is delivered within set deadlines.
- Assign, deploy and manageappropriate reporters, correspondents, producers and camera crews to cover stories;
- Co-ordinate, plan, guide and inspire daily news coverage;
- Manage the smooth running of the News Desk;
- Break news;
- Chair the daily editorial meetings and generate story ideas and news stories for coverage;
- Maintain diary of events as well as contacts book;
- Assess the political, social and economic climate and anticipate likely developments for coverage;
- Brief reporters and advise them on coverage, story angles and approaches;
- Enforce deadlines and productivity targets for reporters and correspondents;
- Encourage original journalism and distinctive innovative content;
- Lead collaboration on projects with other departments to make the best use of resources and ensure joined up coverage to deliver the greatest editorial impact;
- Review and re-write scripts for packages, giving regular feedback to Desk team and other reporters and correspondents assigned to the Desk;
- Manage performance and conduct appraisals of supervisees;
- Set and deliver a clear editorial vision for all output and content by the Desk and communicate this vision to the teams;
- Ensure the Desk team in collaboration with Digital unit produce regular digital video, write for the website and other social platforms and promote Desk content in an engaging format;
- Support the research needs of the Department;
- Deputize the Managing Editor-Broadcast when required.
Qualifications, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Attributes:
- Bachelor’s degree in communication or its equivalent from a recognized institution;
- At least Five (5) years’ experience in a reputable newsroom, three (3) of which must be in a senior position preferably as a news editor;
- Strong editorial background with a skill for finding unique and forward-looking stories;
- Excellent written and verbal communication in English and Kiswahili;
- Management potential, ability to multi-task and prioritize;
- Must be willing to work various shifts in a 24/7 newsroom;
- Experience in handling social media platforms;
- Keen interest in wide range of current events;
- Have a nose for news, widely knowledgeable & attention to detail;
- Experience of leading and managing a team of journalists;
- Digital Media experience will be an added advantage
To apply for this job please visit career.staffingsoft.com.