Mary’s Meals Kenya
Mary’s Meals (MM) is a global movement supported by people from all walks of life and we are focused on one goal – that every child receives a nutritious daily meal in a place of education. We continue to change the lives of over 1.8 million children who today will receive Mary’s Meals. We offer more than just a job; we offer the opportunity to support our global movement in a dynamic and inclusive environment with a real focus on personal development. Mary’s Meals Kenya (MMK) operates a Primary School Feeding and Early Childhood Development programme in Kenya. Applications are invited from suitably qualified and experienced candidates for the following post:
Driver – Turkana County (2 Posts)
We are delighted to be recruiting for talented drivers to join our team in Lodwar, Turkana County. Reporting to the Transport Officer, the drivers will have the main responsibility of transporting goods and people throughout Kenya. They will be responsible to ensure that passengers experience a safe and comfortable journey, and that they arrive on time. They will also take on the responsibility of ensuring that goods are transported to their final destination in good-condition and with all necessary documentation.
Key areas of responsibility include:
- Efficiently deliver a wide variety of items to different locations throughout Kenya.
- Transport people and goods to and from destinations in a comfortable, safe and efficient manner.
- Ensure vehicle fuel levels do not fall below the level stated within the standard operating procedures and report any issues with fuel top-up cards to the Transport Officer.
- Ensure cargo is secured properly and is compliant with safety requirements.
- Help passengers with their luggage and assisting them in getting in and out of vehicles, if required.
- Consult maps or navigation devices for desired routes.
- Conduct pre- and post-trip inspections focusing on checking engine fluids, inspecting interior and exterior electrical and mechanical components, maintaining tire pressure, and keeping fuel levels at adequate levels as per the standard operating procedures.
- Make sure the vehicle is clean and well maintained for each job.
- Load, unload, prepare, inspect, clean, and operate vehicles.
- Must be mannerly and courteous in all driving and non-driving situations while on the job.
- Maintain a calm, rational behaviour and attitude under stressful driving conditions and refrain from inappropriate or abusive language and gestures.
- Safe and legal driving practices are expected at all times with or without passengers.
- Keep written travel logs containing information such as mileage, locations, travel time, work hours, vehicle service entries and receipts as per the standard operating procedures.
- Strictly follow routes and time schedules and adhere to the standard operating procedure on travel times.
- Maintain the vehicle first aid kits and report any accidents or use of items to the Logistics Officer so these can be replaced in a timely manner.
- Maintain the vehicle safety kits and ensure the extended kit is within the vehicle during all journeys out of Lodwar town.
- Report, in good time, when vehicle services are due to the Logistics Officer.
- Comply with all rules and regulations in the Mary’s
- Meals driving policy and standard operating procedures.
- Ensure that all deliveries are accompanied by proper documentation (e.g., delivery notes) and undertake the responsibility of verifying the amounts delivered.
- Drivers must sign a delivery note for all deliveries of goods.
- Collect payments, supplies, quotations, or any other reasonable items as requested by the Mary’s Meals Kenya Administration department or other senior member of staff in MMK.
- Any other reasonable responsibilities as assigned from time to time
Required qualifications, skills and experience – Essential:
- Valid BCE driving licence
- Driving experience, and proven exceptional driving skills in rough terrain
- Flexible working approach with availability to work evenings, early mornings and weekends as required
- Proven ability to work well with people of different cultures and nationalities, good customer care skills,
- Smart appearance, Polite, and professional demeanour
- Good timekeeping
- Fluent written and spoken English and Swahili and ability to communicate well across all levels
- Basic knowledge of vehicle maintenance
- Geographical and route knowledge
- Clean criminal record
Required qualifications, skills and experience – Desirable:
Knowledge of primary school and ECDE locations with the counties of Uasin Gishu, Kisii, Nyamira, Turkana and other key government education offices in Kenya
Applications stating expected salary and CV (including contacts for three professional referees) should be e-mailed indicating the position title and applicant’s name in the subject line. All attached files should be saved under the applicant’s name