Website United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat)
Lead Writer Jobs at United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat)
UN Habitat Lead Writer Jobs 2022 – Kenya NGO Jobs. UN Habitat Kenya looking for “Lead Writer”. Applicants with a degree in Master Degree may apply on or before 9th Jan 2022.
The United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat) is the United Nations programme for human settlements and sustainable urban development. It was established in 1978 as an outcome of the first United Nations Conference on Human Settlements and Sustainable Urban Development (Habitat I) held in Vancouver, Canada, in 1976. UN-Habitat maintains its headquarters at the United Nations Office at Nairobi, Kenya. It is mandated by the United Nations General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all. It is a member of the United Nations Development Group. The mandate of UN-Habitat derives from the Habitat Agenda, adopted by the United Nations Conference on Human Settlements (Habitat II) in Istanbul, Turkey, in 1996.
UN Habitat Lead Writer Jobs 2022
The UN Habitat has published a job vacancy announcement for qualified Kenyans to fill in the vacant post of Lead Writer to be based in Nairobi, Kenya.
Job Responsibilities: Under the guidance of the Publication Coordinator of the Participatory Slum and Upgrading Programme (PSUP), the Lead Writer will be responsible for the following duties:
UN Habitat Job Vacancy 2022
- Revise the publication schedule, key milestones and timeframe until the date of launch
- Provide technical leadership in the conduct of research through external researcher, data analysis and case study compilation
- Organize consultations with key experts and informants from diverse technical backgrounds.
- Perform consultations with authors and carrying out research to clarify ambiguities and rectify substantive errors.
- Edit complex or politically sensitive material, normally without revision, to ensure accuracy, clarity, cohesion and conformity with United Nations standards, policy and practice.
- Carry out more extensive editing where required, including rewriting, abridging and restructuring texts for greater readability and better logical sequence.
- Elaborate drafts of chapters and the final publication of the Solutions to Slums: Global Report on Human Settlements 2020.
Position in Organization:
- Posting Title: Lead Writer
- Department/Office: United Nations Human Settlements Programme
- Duty Station: NAIROBI
- Posting Period: 31 December 2021 – 09 January 2022
- Job Opening Number: 21-United Nations Human Settlements Programme-171615-Consultant
- Staffing Exercise: N/A
- A minimum of a master’s degree in urban planning and development or related areas is required. A PhD in related fields will be an added advantage.
- Proven track record as lead author, researcher and technical coordinator of major international publications and reports is required.
- Experience of producing reports and publications based on multiagency or multiauthor inputs is required.
- At least 10 years’ experience in providing services for similar assignments is desirable.
- At least 10 years of solid experience, technical specialization and proven experience working on urban development issues, specifically slum upgrading, with expert knowledge and experience of urban contexts, policies is required.
- A good understanding and knowledge of UN-Habitat and its flagship programmes including the Participatory Slum Upgrading Programme is desirable.
- Proven, excellent writing and communication skills in English are required.
- Knowledge of research techniques are preferred.
- Proven analytical skills and ability to synthesize findings from diverse materials and sources, with sensitivity to nuance is preferable.
- Ability to work flexibly, with availability for overtime and on-call assignments, depending on the needs of the service is desirable.
How to Apply
The Closing Date: 9th Jan 2022.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.