KMF/3. ASSISTANT DIRECTOR STRATEGIC COMMUNICATIONS (KMFRI GRADE 4) – POSITION – ONE (1)
Basic Salary Scale: KShs. 148,634 – KShs. 193,225 P.M.
House Allowance: KShs. 45,000 P.M.
Commuter Allowance: KShs. 12,000 P.M.
Annual Leave Allowance: KShs. 10,000 P.A.
Medical Cover & Other Allowances: As provided by KMFRI
Terms of Service: Permanent & Pensionable
(a) Duties and responsibilities in this position will entail:
- Advising on the Institute’s communication needs for planning
- Provide leadership in formulating corporate communication policies, strategies and regulations; execute and manage strategic communications intended to create a favorable point of view among stakeholders
- Reviewing corporate communication messages
- Coordinating benching activities of communication programmes
- Identifying relevant online accounts that can efficiently and effectively promote the Institute’s research activities; encourage live tweeting from events,
- Initiating and provide angle to online conversations with the Institute’s like-minded organizations, research communities and funders.
- Coordinating of meetings, conferences, seminars, workshops and exhibitions;
- Cultivating, manage and sustain meaningful relationships and collaborations with media and other key stakeholders internally and externally;
- Preparing the department’s board papers for presentation to the Institute’s Board of Management
- Taking lead in development, execution, and interpreting the organization’s mission, vision and mandate cohesively and communicate the same message to every stakeholder
- Supervising creation and publishing of relevant website content and manage all content uploaded on the Institute’s website
- Providing direction in awareness creation related tasks by suggesting relevant engagement techniques ideal for the Institute activities, services and products;
- Coordinating the development of Institute’s calendars, diaries and internal communication by providing needed leadership;
- Promoting the Institute’s profile through consultations with chief research scientists and Centre Directors/Station Coordinators on sharing information on research activities and researchers’ profiles for ongoing projects
- Enhancing the Institute’s linkages and outreach services through networking with KMFRI publics including government agencies, NGOs, SAGAs, universities and fisher communities;
- Making recommendations for the review of the Institute’s corporate image;
- Coordinating the Institute’s advertising and publicity activities and ensure safe custody of corporate communication records;
- Coordinating the drafting, editing and reviewing of the organization’s profile and recommend updating of the same from time to time
- Preparing and managing departmental budget and ensure prudent use of resources allocated to the department
- Spearheading the Institute’s branding and re-branding activities by generating relevant information, artworks and manuals to guide the management in decision-making
- Coordinating the Institute’s public functions and corporate social responsibility activities;
- Providing guidance in evaluation of customer service charter and ensure concerns arising from service delivery are addressed promptly in line with the requirements of the service charter;
- Providing guidance in the development of pitch messages sent to media outlets on activities and developments within the Institute that need coverage and brief editors from multiple channels on the same
- Scheduling interviews with top management
- Identifying relevant media training for top management;
- Monitoring dissemination of information to stakeholders through relevant communication digital application, identifying gaps and addressing them
- Preparing and managing the departmental budget and monitoring absorption of resources;
- Monitoring and evaluation of corporate communication services;
- Mentoring, guiding and supervising staff.
(b) Requirements for Appointment/Person Specifications
For direct appointment in this grade, a candidate must have:
- Master’s Degree in Communications Studies; or Journalism or Language & Literary Studies; or Public Relations; or Mass Communication; or Social Media Journalism; or Science Communication from a recognized institution
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Communications Studies; or Journalism or Language & Literary Studies; or Public Relations; or Mass Communication; or Social Media Journalism; or Science Communication from a recognized institution
- KCSE C +(plus) or its equivalent and above
At least eight (8) years relevant work experience, three (3) of which must have been in a supervisory position
- Membership to Chartered Institute of Public Relations (CIPR) or related ` recognized professional body.
- Management course lasting not less than four (4) weeks, or equivalent, from a recognized institution
Proficiency in computer applications
- Demonstrated track record of performance
- Fulfilled the requirements of Chapter 6 of the Constitution
(c) Other Competencies and Skills
- Communication skills;
- Interpersonal skills;
- Negotiation skills;
- Strategic thinking;
- Persuasion skills
- Editing skills
- Knowledge in budgeting
- Good team player; and
- Analytical skills
- Creative skills
- Ability to work under pressure.
(d) APPLICATION PROCEDURE
Interested and qualified candidates MUST complete the KMFRI Job Application Form, attach their testimonials, certificates, copy of their National Identification Card (ID) and Curriculum Vitae (CV).
Submit their applications both in HARD and SOFT COPY, and envelopes containing the documents should clearly be marked with the position applied for and sent to the address below not later than Wednesday, 7th July 2021.
The Director General,
Kenya Marine and Fisheries Research Institute,
P. O. Box 81651 – 80100,
Silos Road, English Point, Mkomani,
(e) APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS
Shortlisted candidates in compliance with the Chapter Six of the Constitution will be required to present originals of the following documents during the interviews:
1. Certificate of Good Conduct from the Directorate of Criminal Investigations
2. Clearance/Compliance Certificate from Higher Education Loans Board (HELB)
3. Tax Compliance Certificate from Kenya Revenue Authority
4. Clearance from Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC)
5. Clearance from recognized Credit Reference Bureau (CRB)
1. Only SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES will be contacted and shall be required to produce originals of their National Identity Card, academic and professional certificates and clearance certificates during the interviews.
2. Any canvassing will lead to AUTOMATIC DISQUALIFICATION.
KMFRI IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY, PERSONS LIVING WITH DISABILITY, WOMEN, YOUTH AND THOSE FROM MARGINALIZED AREAS ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.