JOB TITLE: Hostel Officer I – GRADE 11
Basic Salary for this position is between Kshs. 87,080/= by Kshs. 3,404/= to Kshs. 124,524/=
The job is responsible to the Senior Hostel Officer and exists to ensuring proper management of students’ halls of residence within the university to ensure convenient and safe accommodation services for students.
1. Prepare annual sectional procurement plans, in liaison with the Senior Hostels Officer through needs assessment and subsequent resource matching to ensure availability of resources in a timely and complete manner to facilitate achievement of sectional mandate.
2. Prepare sectional budget through needs assessment and subsequent resource identification to ensure availability of financial resources.
3. Prepare annual sectional work plan in conjunction with the Senior Hostels Officer through needs assessment and subsequent human capital matching to ensure sectional tasks are carried out in a timely and complete manner.
4. Assign tasks to Assistant Hostels Officer in line with work plan to ensure that all sectional tasks are carried out in a timely and complete manner.
5. Coordinate hostel staff performance appraisal through validation of integrity of information provided by the relevant staff in the appraisal form to ensure that they are performing at the optimal performance levels.
6. Prepare reports using the available tools and as received in the office including complaints, special requests from students for action by management, dean of students, student counsellor and others as required to ensure student issues are addressed in a timely and complete manner.
7. Investigate incidences relating to students and their behavior within the halls of residence from the information received so as to aid in resolving their disputes according to university policy.
8. Provide advice and guidance to prospective and current students on accommodation options through assessment of private housing and making referrals to students to ensure that all students are housed in safe and conducive environment.
9. Evaluate and analyze the resident student database in line with student accommodation module so as to ensure that all records kept are up-to-date, are accurately complete and any flaws or failings are quickly rectified with reference to the established module requirements.
10. Undertake room capacity analysis within University managed hostels using appropriate analytical tools so as to provide the management with necessary performance data to aid in decision making.
11. Update the accuracy of the accommodation part of the university website through observation and inspections so as to advise on any updates required or errors discovered.
12. Respond to queries relating to accommodation through face-to-face dialogue, telephone and email so ensure that concerns are addressed effectively.
13. Oversee maintenance of room utilities and fittings within the halls of residence through liaising with estates department to ensure good working conditions of the respective utilities.
14. Oversee the allocation and clearance of accommodation services to university students in line with set accommodation policy to ensure that deserving students are allocated rooms and subsequent clearance at the end of the semester.
15. Facilitate ISO concession in the section through monitoring of sectional activities in line with ISO requirements to ensure compliance.
16. Supervise activities of students in the halls of residence by routine check-ups, control of visitors and visiting hours using existing procedures to ensure compliance with the university code of conduct in the halls of residence.
17. Implement emergency procedures by calling for ambulance during emergency to transport students to the university hospital when required to ensure students get medical assistance as fast as possible.
18. Carry out other duties and responsibilities as may be assigned by a senior officer
Job Requirements for Appointment
1. Master’s degree in the relevant field or its approved equivalent from a recognized institution.
2. At least five (5) years relevant working experience. Applicants’ with Bachelor’s degree and eleven (11) years’ experience may be considered.
3. Knowledge of Information and Communication Technology.
How to apply
Applicants must submit two (2) copies of applications giving details of their educational and professional qualifications, age, detailed work experience, present post and salary, applicant’s telephone number and e-mail address. Enclose certified copies of certificates and testimonials and giving names and addresses of three (3) referees who are knowledgeable about the applicant’s competence and area of specialization, accompanied with detailed Curriculum Vitae and a copy of the most recent pay slip.
In addition, applicants should request their referees to write directly to the undersigned, in separate sealed envelopes. Interested applicants should send the applications to the address below, quoting the relevant reference number, so as to be received on or before Wednesday 15th December, 2021.
The Vice Chancellor
P.O. Box 1957- 10101