Head of People job at SunFunder
SunFunder is a mission-driven solar finance business based in Nairobi unlocking debt capital for solar energy in emerging markets, where over 2.2 billion people live without access to reliable energy.
Head of People
This role will be responsible for the core of our business: our people! For this key strategic role, we seek a dynamic self-starter who is committed to our values, passionate about nurturing a thriving work environment, and as fired up about developing our (40 person) team’s individual and collective talent as solving the global climate crisis. You will help us attract, retain and develop the great talent needed to fulfil our high impact and ambitious mission to pioneer and scale clean energy and climate investments in underserved markets. This role is well-suited to an exceptional people-centric leader with 10+ years professional experience in early stage and fast-growing enterprises who may have had a non-traditional route into a professional HR and people strategy role.
The core responsibilities are to lead strategic thinking and operational execution of our people function including but not limited to:
- Recruiting and Onboarding: Manage SunFunder’s recruitment process to ensure we continue to hire top talent who are excellent stewards of our culture as well as exceptional individual and team contributors.
- Organisational Design: Partner with Leadership and Management Teams to ensure our organisational growth and strategic priorities are anticipated, identified and appropriately staffed to deliver success.
- Culture & Employee Retention: Champion our values-based culture by exhibiting them in all that you do. Be a voice, advocate and role model for work life balance and staff welfare, supporting both managers and team members to look after themselves in service of doing our best work.
- Internal Communications: Be a bridge from the Management and Leadership Teams to the rest of the team to communicate key organisational, staffing and culture and staff event-related items and decisions.
- Performance Management: Lead the process to assess and redesign our performance management framework – including the supporting HR software system (in partnership with our IT team) – to ensure all team members are clear on what is expected of them, how they are progressing against functional and professional development goals and what else is required for them to grow. Partner with Managers to ensure they feel supported in hosting effective, timely performance and developmental feedback conversations including management of underperformance.
- Resources: Eventually take ownership for the HR budget ensuring all strategic, training, new hires, internal learning and development goals are planned and appropriately budgeted for. This includes management of HR-related allowances and team retreats.
- Learning and Development: Lead and be central hub for all aspects of learning and development across our team. From stewarding the execution of existing programs to partnering with experts to deliver targeted, technical and leadership development offerings for our team; to developing the next phase of our career pathways ensuring all staff are supported on professional development plans to grow both at SunFunder and in their careers overall.
- General HR Policies & Procedures: With guidance from our General Counsel and external counsel, own and implement our HR policies, procedures, processes and programs based on local legislations and best practices in all our countries of operation.
- Compensation and Benefits: With support from our finance team, oversee employee benefits in each country, ensuring equity across locations and making sure these are always up to date and understood by staff.
To apply for this job please visit www.linkedin.com.