Engineering Manager-Microsoft Search Assistance and Intelligence (MSAI)
The Microsoft Search Assistance and Intelligence (MSAI) team is responsible for enabling intelligence in Microsoft Outlook, SharePoint, Teams, Bing, and Microsoft Assistant. You would be part of the Knowledge team working on researching and developing state of the art natural language processing, machine learning and graph learning technologies to build an intelligent backend for a host of delightful and powerful user experiences aimed at improving everyday productivity of every Office 365 user and organization. Every single email, chat, document, meeting, search, or any interaction users have with office canvases further augments this knowledge by deep understanding of the user, helping us build user and tenant specific knowledge graphs, while strictly guaranteeing Microsoft’s promise to customer privacy, compliance, and trust.
The features benefiting from this range from the most basic features like autocompleting user queries in Microsoft Search to super ambitious ones like E2E solution for enterprise knowledge management (Viva Topics). We are looking for highly motivated software engineers who are passionate about researching interesting problems around knowledge mining, natural language processing, relevance experimentation, user understanding and writing high performance code to serve these intelligent solutions on our distributed systems operating at the scale of exabytes of data.
• As a lead, you will be expected to coach, care and mentor a small team of engineers and or scientists working on tough problems with you. In addition to managing and growing the capabilities of team, your responsibilities will also include technical leadership. The expectation is that you will contribute to feature designs and long-term technology roadmaps. You will be responsible for ensuring that the work your team delivers is high-quality and developed in a way that aligns with architecture of the underlying platform.
• You will work with a team of applied scientists and developers who are responsible for all stages of the research & development cycle including early ideation, design, implementation and scaling it internationally. You will be expected to work on many levels – from high level vision, to design and implementations of both self-contained components and large, team-oriented code bases. Your coding skills will be challenged writing scalable, distributed, and highly efficient components. You will also be responsible for monitoring live site to ensure rock-solid availability.
• Your responsibilities will include shipping large-scale backend services that host complex models and algorithms to process critical user data. You will also be involved in developing offline processes to monitor, extract, index and build ML & NLP models. Collaborating with other engineers to build demos and apps to showcase these services is one of the ways in which you will be able to contribute new ideas. The development process is driven by gathering implicit signals from real users through online experimentation to learn and iterate on the next improvements in the product.
• You will also have the opportunity to participate in frequent hackathons that allow you to work with many different teams around the world. The goal is to pursue high impact work to quickly deliver on critical areas that our users value, by delivering high quality features in a highly collaborative team environment.
• You should have strong software design and development background with C#, C++ or Java (or similar languages like Python) with at least 5 years of experience.
• A BSc degree (or equivalent) in Computer Science (or related fields like Electronic Engineering, Physics or Mathematics) is required. An MSc or PhD is not required, but a passion for continuously learning new skills and techniques is. As a lead, the expectation is that you will help your team learn and grow.
• Proven experience in managing a team of engineers is desirable, however, passion for growing and nurturing a team of engineers will be even more important to allow you to succeed in this role. The lead role will still be technical, and your team will expect you to provide solid technical leadership and oversight.
• You must have strong programming and algorithm design skills and real passion for data driven decision-making.
• Proven experience working on large scale web services would help you get started, while experience or interest in natural language processing, machine learning, deep learning, or data mining area a big bonus.
• You will need strong verbal and written communication skills with excellent interpersonal communication.
• As Lead of a satellite team, beyond the usual expectation of great collaboration skills, you will also need to excel at collaborating across groups.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
To apply for this job please visit careers.microsoft.com.