World Bank Group
Counsel job at World Bank Group
The International Finance Corporation (IFC), the private sector investment arm of the World Bank Group, promotes sustainable private sector development in emerging markets, helping to reduce poverty and improve people’s lives. The Legal Department of IFC (CLED), under the General Counsel and Vice President, Risk & Sustainability, is responsible for providing legal and policy advice to the IFC Board, its Management and client departments on operational, advisory and corporate matters. Specifically, CLED supports client departments in
(i) the delivery of IFC’s annual program of financing private sector projects in emerging markets, advisory services, as well as early stage engagements and pre-investment project development work to identify opportunities for private sector investments and creating markets (“Upstream”); (ii) project portfolio management (including jeopardy projects and projects in litigation); (iii) the delivery and design of structured finance products, sub-national lending, equity and quasi-equity, public-private partnerships, and investments in funds, as well as platform products; (iv) advising on corporate policy and operational matters; and (v) knowledge management and training. To support IFC’s growing activities in the Africa region, CLED is recruiting a qualified Legal Counsel to be based in Nairobi, Kenya.
Duties and Accountabilities:
1. Providing advice and support to colleagues working on Investments, Advisory, as well as Upstream, in Africa. Assume primary lawyer responsibility for new and portfolio investments, advisory services and Upstream projects in the Africa region. Responsibilities in respect of Advisory services will include oversight of legal analysts preparing documentation based on standardized terms and conditions.
2. Advising on the selection of outside counsel in the Africa region, managing outside counsel and legal costs.
3. Interacting and communicating with colleagues in Washington and other regions to facilitate the provision of excellent legal services in the Africa region, including providing advice and support to colleagues in Washington working on projects in the region.
4. Obtaining and expanding country knowledge, experience and best practices arising from the business in Africa and efficiently sharing this knowledge.
5. Providing general advice and support with respect to all aspects of IFC’s business in the Africa region.
1. Qualified to practice law in one or more jurisdictions.
2. At least 8 years’ relevant international law firm and/or international financial institution or development finance institution experience.
3. Experience in post conflict countries preferably in developing countries desirable.
4. The successful candidate will have extensive experience of cross-border secured debt transactions (project and corporate finance including multi-lender transactions).
5. Experience in equity and quasi-equity, investment funds and debt capital markets desirable.
6. Ability to handle complex corporate and commercial transactions independently.
7. Willingness to assume multiple roles and tasks to meet changing business needs with an ability to foresee troubleshoot and effectively resolve conflicting issues and challenges.
8. Ability to assess risk in a practical and responsible manner and make fair, well-reasoned, independent decisions.
9. Excellent interpersonal skills, ability work effectively in a multicultural environment and build good relations with clients and colleagues.
10. Ability to work in a fast-pace environment with quick turnaround expectations.
11. Willingness to travel throughout SSA frequently and on short notice.
12. Professional integrity and sound judgment in handling confidential information.
13. Experience with “know your customer”, anti-money laundering and anti-corruption policies and procedures desirable.
14. Excellent communications skills in English, and the capacity to present both written and oral ideas clearly, concisely and persuasively.
15. Ability to speak French or Arabic desirable but not essential.
World Bank Group Core Competencies
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.
To apply for this job please visit worldbankgroup.csod.com.