United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Assistant Durable Solutions Officer
This Job Opening is available to eligible UNHCR staff members and external applicants.
Procedures and Eligibility
Interested applicants should consult the Administrative Instruction on Recruitment and Assignment of Locally Recruited Staff (RALS). Applicants must be nationals of, and be locally recruited within the country of their employment.
Duties And Qualifications
Assistant Durable Solutions Officer
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Assistant Durable Solutions Officer can serve as a focal point for solutions related issues in a region, and reports to a more senior Protection, Resettlement or Durable Solutions staff. The incumbent may have supervisory responsibility for durable solutions staff.
The incumbent is relied upon to ensure the implementation of a durable solutions strategy, and to contribute to ensuring a conducive environment leading towards finding durable solutions. S/he works closely with protection and programme staff. Fostering an environment to enhance partnerships is a critical element of the work, as are activities designed to strength the involvement of refugee communities and their hosts in the design and implementation of solutions strategies.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
• Provide counselling to refugees and other persons of concern (POC) to identify the most appropriate durable solution and to enable them to make a well-informed decision.
• Interview candidates for voluntary repatriation and prepare documentation for their return.
• Interview and prepare Resettlement Referral Forms (RRF), in line with Resettlement SOPs.
• Interview candidates for local integration and prepare the appropriate documentation for onward submission to local authorities or partners.
• Assist in updating the electronic database for resettlement, voluntary repatriation and local integration, in line with Standard Operating Procedures.
• Process documentation to ensure that POC receive the documents required for their durable solutions in a timely manner.
• Prepare statistical and ad-hoc reports to ensure accurate information is available and shared with relevant offices and partners.
• Interview and advise on the appropriate durable solution to be provided to POC. Prepare documents relating to durable solutions.
• Enter information into available database, in line with SOPs.
• Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For P1/NOA – 1 year relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or no experience with Graduate degree; or no experience with Doctorate degree
Field(s) of Education
or other relevant field.
(Field(s) of Education marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Certificates and/or Licenses
Relevant Job Experience
Good knowledge of refugee issues and Human Rights doctrine. Very good reporting and writing ability.
Diverse field experience. Knowledge of ProGress database software.
• CO-Drafting and Documentation
• IT-Microsoft Office Productivity Software
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
To apply for this job please visit public.msrp.unhcr.org.