Why Airtel Africa?
At Airtel Africa, we act with passion, energy, and a can-do attitude. Innovation with an entrepreneurial spirit drive us. If you like “ordinary”, then we are not for you.
We champion diversity. We anticipate, adapt, and deliver solutions that enrich the lives of communities we serve. we roll up our sleeves to win with our customers.
By choosing Airtel, you choose to be part of a winning team. All this in addition to a brilliant opportunity to build a career in your field of expertise, across our different operating companies in Africa.
- Will partner closely with the Chief Legal Officer, Regional Director Francophone Africa and Opco Legal teams, C-suite and other senior executives in the formulation of business and legal strategies for the organization
- Will provide legal advice and business required support to Regional Director, C-suite and other senior executives to effectively manage risk, and assist them in meeting their strategic and business objectives
- Will serve as primary contact in the legal department to various Africa functional teams (e.g., Marketing, Finance, HR et al), to ensure a harmonized, risk-free and strategic evolution of that business unit
- Will be required to oversee a team of Opco lawyers and staff and external counsels – Partner with Opco legal director to execute upon objectives and achieve measurable results in support of business – Manage litigation and provide strategic direction to business partners
- Will support the business with special projects or initiatives such as M&A activity and roll-out of new strategic projects by functions
- Managing/attending board meetings,
- Briefing Regional Operations Directors and other Exco members,
- Managing cross-Opco and shareholder legal matters, including liaising with head office
- Assist, support and guide Opco legal directors in respect of all aspects of legal department management and activity
- Ensuring optimal quality of legal service provided (standards, timeliness, accuracy…)
- Act on internal audit findings and recommendations as and when required in order to close gaps in compliance and governance
- Identifying areas of development and address as required
Rendering both contractual and strategic advice,
- Partnering with business owners to ensure productive and robust alliances,
- Commercial risk management and entity structuring.
- Handling Group-level disputes, including managing outside counsel and pre-litigation and litigation management responsibilities; monitoring and managing Opco litigation portfolio
- Responsible for orderly strategic and project management of Opco jurisdictions
What will make you successful?
- Minimum 7 years of professional experience
- Degree in Civil law – Common law desirable but not compulsory
- Trained and graduation in civil law – knowledge of common law principles and possibly prior experience
- Applied knowledge of OHADA laws and procedures
- Prior professional experience with an international law firm
- Previous exposure to a variety of African francophone markets and jurisdictions
- Experience in developing strong business partnerships with senior executives
- Ability to evaluate issues from legal and business perspectives with a practical, business-oriented, common sense approach to complex problem solving
- Effectively balance risk and opportunity, thinking creatively to enable the business to make smart decisions
- Excellent attention to detail and judgment
- Unimpeachable integrity; and
- Flexibility, adaptability.