ICT Intern (Nairobi) Jobs at Self Help Africa
ICT Intern (Nairobi)
Reports to: ICT Manager Gorta Group
Contract: Full time
Hours of work: 37.5 hours Monday-Friday
Travel: limited domestic travel may be required
SHA is a core member of The Gorta Group which is composed of a group of innovative organizations driving sustainable economic and social change across Africa. Comprising Self Help Africa, Partner Africa and TruTrade, the Gorta Group combines expertise in market-based solutions to poverty and rural development; climate change mitigation and resilience; trade facilitation and farmer and worker rights; underpinned by an inclusive ethos that specifically targets women and youth. In August 2021, United Purpose joined the Gorta Group, which operates as Self Help Africa (SHA), bringing together two organizations with proud histories of assisting those in greatest need. United Purpose, formerly Concern Universal, has worked for more than 40 years as a leader in community-led development and grassroots innovation. SHA now has over 700 staff worldwide, as a result of the merger, and a global turnover of over €40m. We are currently implementing a portfolio of 80 projects in Bangladesh, Brazil, Burkina Faso, Democratic Republic of Congo, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Malawi, Mozambique, Uganda and Zambia funded by a variety of institutional and private donors including the European Union, Irish Aid and World Food Programme. In 2020, we supported close to eight million people in rural communities across sub-Saharan Africa, Brazil and Bangladesh.
Gorta Group is committed to the continuous improvement of its operational and business models to ensure the improvement of the delivery of all our services and programmes.
The primary purpose of this role is in the areas of computer operations, user and desktop support (hardware and software), helpdesk – preparing training materials and supporting documents. Monitors, operates, or coordinates and assists others in the operation of computer hardware, software, and peripherals in order to achieve desired results. Requires minimum supervision. Updates ICT Manager Gorta Group on arising IT issues. This role is a key supporting role within Gorta group organization (Self Help Africa, Gorta, Partner Africa, United Purpose, TruTrade).
• IT interns must support the IT team in the maintenance of hardware, software and other systems. Troubleshoot issues with equipment like printers, computers, software applications among others. Help users to run software updates when required.
• Participate in user training for basic hardware and software use.
• Perform minor repairs to equipment and arrange for other servicing needs.
• Research on unusual bugs or issues the organizations encounters.
• Installing and configuring computer hardware operating systems and applications where necessary.
• Respond to user requests for service, and help develop solutions by preparing training materials such as help documents and/or videos where necessary.
• Taking staff through a series of actions, either face to face or over the telephone or via Skype/TeamViewer to help set up systems or resolve issues.
• Assist on logistics of ICT equipment when due for repair.
• Escalate IT issues to the ICT Manager Gorta Group where necessary.
• Carry out other Ad hoc duties as required by ICT Manager Gorta Group
• Give support to the Group ICT Team when required.
• Maintain open communication and positive working relationship with Group staff.
• Perform other duties/projects as assigned.
• ICT Manager Gorta Group
• All staff
• Group ICT Team
• Group Chief Information Officer
It is expected that you will:
• Carry out these accountabilities within the operating and process frameworks that apply to the group organizations.
• Work together with all your key internal and external stakeholders within and outside the organization
• Exemplify Gorta Group core purpose & values in practice
Profile, experience and behaviours:
In order to succeed in this role, it is expected that the IT Intern will have:
• Minimum Diploma in ICT related field or completed Bachelor degree ICT related field with proof of internship letter from institution and course work transcripts.
• Ability to multitask – Sense of urgency; maintain a positive attitude
• Relevant IT degree/diploma or industry experience
• Strong PC skills for both Windows Operating System and Apple Operating System (e.g Ms Office Applications such as Excel, Word, etc.)
• Has excellent research, analytical planning and organizational skills
• Strong writing, presentation, communication in English
• A high level of drive, initiative, motivations, commitment and professionalism
• Demonstrates the flexibility and the ability to work in a multi-cultural and multi –national team
• Demonstrates commitment to working with a values-based organization
• Has the ability to work under pressure
Additional Knowledge Preferred but not Essential
• Experience or exposure of CRM database such as Salesforce
• Analytical skills with the ability to problem solve