Communications Intern Jobs at Terre des Hommes Netherlands
Communications Intern (East Africa, based in Nairobi)
Terre des Hommes Netherlands (TdH NL) prevents child exploitation, removes children from exploitative situations, and ensures that these children can continue their development in a safe environment.
Globally, and in Africa, Terre des Hommes Netherlands focuses on Child Exploitation (CE) as the overall theme of our work. Under our new Global Strategy (2021 – 2025), TdH NL is redefining and refining its overall role as a child rights organisation to engage more deeply in identifying, exposing, and responding to hidden and emerging forms of child exploitation taking place all over the world.
Building on our previous experience on themes such as child trafficking and unsafe migration, addressing the worst forms of child labour, child abuse, and stopping the sexual exploitation of children (including online child sexual exploitation), TdH NL will widen its scope and target all forms of hidden and emerging exploitation happening to children, aiming to stop exploitation so children can be children.
Under the new strategy, our approach follows a 5 phase model: 1. Identify (child exploitation issues); 2. Research (investigate the nature and scope of these issues); 3. Expose & Design (design evidence-based interventions. share research findings, and work with key stakeholders to co-create solutions); 4. Mobilize (bring key stakeholders together to ensure solutions are scalable and sustainable); and 5. Hand over & monitor (ensure sustainable handover to partners). The strategy also places a strong emphasis on innovation and the use of technology to help tackle exploitation, whilst also ensuring children remain at the centre of all our work.
Objectives of the internship
The communication intern will provide support in the implementation of all the communication activities in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Ethiopia and Madagascar with audiences that are both external (for organisational profiling) and internal (information and technical support needs of colleagues).
The communications intern will report and receive technical guidance from the Senior Regional Communications Officer in East Africa with whom (s)he will be working closely together.
Main duties and responsibilities
• Provide support in the implementation of communications plans for the East African region.
• Provide support in the implementation of communication activities to raise awareness of the new strategy to various audiences across the region.
• Develop monthly content calendars (with visuals and captions) for social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn) to raise TdH NL’s visibility.
• Prepare monthly newsletters to showcase Terre des Hommes Netherlands’s work in countries and in the region.
• Maintain, update and improve the Terre des Hommes Netherlands website for East Africa, following the Terre des Hommes Netherlands communication planning for East Africa.
• Write and publish high-quality case stories to be used for internal and external communication purposes.
• Produce communication and profiling materials for the region, such as one-pager fact sheets, profiles, reports.
• Assist in supporting the country teams with their communication needs, such as reviewing Information, Education and Communication materials, reviewing stories/reports, videos, ensuring compliance to branding guidelines.
• Conduct media monitoring and coordinate with regional and country media contacts for publicity & visibility in various channels that include TV, radio & print.
• Conduct research on various topics and also develop monthly progress reports.
• Provide communication support to country teams during physical and virtual events
• Complete any other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and experience
• Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism or multimedia.
• Experience in Social Media and web content management (including working with content management software).
• Experience in writing and editing various communication products for various audiences, knowledge of graphic design (experience with Canva or Adobe) and experience with various platforms (Google Analytics, Buffer, Meltwater, Google Ad words, Tweetdeck, Mailchimp).
• Computer literacy: well conversant with working in the Google Cloud and its applications (Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, etc), including basic skills in working with photo and video editing software.
• Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, in fluent English.
• Good command of French will be an added asset.
• Excellent communication skills, interpersonal skills and teamwork skills.
• Thorough and precise working style, with strong attention to detail.
• Dynamic, self-motivated and self-starting personality who can be proactive and take initiative.
• Basic knowledge and understanding of child protection issues in East Africa.
• Ability to plan and organise well, setting goals and achieving results in line with the goals set.
• Ability to manage multiple tasks and respond flexibly to changing priorities.
• Ability to think ‘outside the box for creative communication solutions.
• Ability to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor his/ her work.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to write a motivation letter no longer than 250 words in which you describe your career aspiration, how this internship is going to help you in achieving this, and why you think you are the best candidate for this position.
Please send this motivation letter, together with your Curriculum Vitae and a maximum of three recent examples of your editorial work by email with subject line Communications Intern East Africa to: firstname.lastname@example.org , no later than by Friday, 21 January 2022. For more information about this internship, you can contact us through the same email address.
Please note that this is a national internship. Applicants must be able to provide proof of the right to live and work in Kenya.
Kindly also note that applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Due to the expected large responses, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The selection procedure will include an assessment test, and checking of recent professional/academic references.