Internship Opportunity – EnDev Project
Project Overview – SNV EnDev Project
The SNV EnDev Phase III project titled “Accelerating Access to Energy Services” is a market development initiative being implemented in Kenya as part of projects supported by the EnDev Programme. The new implementation phase began here in Kenya in October 2019.
The overall objective of the SNV EnDev phase III project is to contribute to the Kenya’s SE4All initiative whose goal is to achieve 100% universal access to modern energy services by 2030 for both cooking and electricity. The project includes two major components, namely ‘EnDev Core’’ and “EnDev Refugees. SNV Kenya is also implementing the EnDev/IKEA Foundation funded Sustainable Energy for Smallholder Farmers (SEFFA) project, supporting smallholder farmers to access energy services.
The Assignment/Project Scope
Under the EnDev Core component, SNV Kenya is implementing the EnDev Enabling business environment for solar and cookstove distributors component. This component entails various activity including promoting sector coordination and advocacy, promoting the development and enforcement of policies and standards, encouraging, and proactively supporting the implementation of the Ministry of Energy’s Gender in Energy policy, institutional support to industry associations’ focus on productive use of energy, dissemination of the PUE sector study and development of a data platform to enable access to data for productive use of energy.
Under the EnDev Refugee component, the Market based Energy Access (MBEA) II project focuses on market-based approaches to energy access within the refugee settings in Kakuma refugee camp as well as the host community. MBEA II promotes supply, distribution and use of clean cooking and solar powered solutions through a mix of market based and social approaches. The market-based approach is anchored with distributors of the targeted products in the refugee set-up and includes technical assistance and activity based financial facilitation. The social based approach includes partnerships with relevant agencies operating in the refugee camp in order to promote co-financing for solutions targeting social institutions.
The MBEA II project team also implements the ‘Piloting EPCs in Kalobeyei’ (PEPCi-K) project, which is funded under the EnDev Innovation Window. The project pilots the use of Electric Pressure Cookers (EPCs) with 100 refugee and host community households and SMEs connected to the solar mini grid in Kalobeyei.
SNV is looking for an intern to support project implementation, communications, administration and knowledge management.
Role of Intern – EnDev project
Reporting to the Lead Advisor EnDev, the intern will support project implementation on various tasks including but not limited to supporting:
- Day-to-day implementation of the EnDev core, EnDev refugee (MBEA II) components and PEPCi-K project. Activities include general data collection, drafting of project documents and contributing to progress reports.
- Project communication through supporting the daily drafting of a digital newsletter on regional energy sector developments. Additional activities include designing templates and visuals for reports, presentations, factsheets as well as external communication via social media, SNV website and other platforms.
- Targeted research assignments on specific sector developments, collecting information on relevant research and sharing with the team.
- Project administration by maintaining the project SharePoint team site, conducting regular clean-ups and organizing folder structure. Support to project events organisation.
- Business development activities and needs-based support to other projects/programmes/initiatives.
- BSc degree in relevant discipline such as business administration, finance, economics, social/environmental sciences, renewable energy or similar discipline
- Excellent communications and report writing skills
- Commitment, passion, and positive attitude to working in a diverse team
- Organised and methodical, with attention to detail
Duration: The contract will be full-time for 6 months, possibility of renewal is not foreseen
Requirements: Duty station will be Nairobi