Kenya Tree Field Supervisor Job
About One Acre Fund
Founded in 2006, One Acre Fund supplies 1 million smallholder farmers with the agricultural services they need to make their farms vastly more productive. Our 8,000+ team is drawn from diverse backgrounds and professions. With operations across six core countries in Africa, we make farmers more prosperous by providing quality farm supplies on credit, delivered within walking distance of farmers’ homes, and agricultural training to improve harvests. On average, the farmers we serve harvest 50 percent more food after working with One Acre Fund.
About the Role
The main responsibility of to manage field operations of the new tree seedling program. You will monitor and report on your team’s operations, provide them with regular training, and track your team’s progress to ensure the team meets assigned targets. Tree Program Supervisors will manage three or more Tree Officers, 12-16 contracted tree nurseries, and up to 2+ million tree seedlings.
- Support in managing, mentoring, and coaching team members and managing relationships with contracted nursery owners
- Supervise activity and strategy execution in the field and report to Tree Program Supervisor
- Monitor and track teams performance sharing weekly or daily updates with manager
- Manage a team of up to four, full time staff and offer them regular in-field support
- Track and update operational KPIs (weekly operational KPIs and daily basis during distribution)
- Conduct weekly and monthly trainings for your team
- Regular field visits (generally 3-4x per week) to assess progress, performance, and challenges
- Address operational challenges quickly and efficiently
- Lead weekly team meetings with your team
- Lead team to manage up to 16 contracted nursery owners who will grow approximately 150,000 seedlings per nursery
- Support recruitment and contracting of nursery owners
- Manage weekly staff check ins and bi-annual development plans for direct reports
- Any other duties as assigned by your supervisor
Career Growth and Development
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months, and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
Across all roles, these are the general qualifications we look for. For this role specifically, you will have:
- Excellent field execution
- Experience with tree nurseries
- At least 3 years of people and project management experience at work or outside of work
- A passion for tracking the details
- Fluent in English and Kiswahili
Preferred Start Date
Due to the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic, start dates can vary significantly by role. We are adapting rapidly to Covid-19 and most of our team is now working remotely. Given the changing environment, we will appreciate your flexibility in confirming a start date.
Multiple Locations (Western Nyanza, Central, Rift-valley regions)
Health insurance, paid time off
Must have existing rights to work in Kenya.
One Acre Fund never asks candidates to pay any money or pay for tests at any stage of the interview process. Official One Acre Fund emails will always arrive from an @oneacrefund.org address. Please report any suspicious communication here (firstname.lastname@example.org), but do not send applications or application materials to this email address.
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion (DEI), and anti-racism are deeply connected to our organization’s mission and purpose. One Acre Fund aspires to build a culture where all staff feel consistently valued, represented, and connected – so that our team can thrive as professionals, and achieve exceptional impact for the farmers we serve.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.