DECLARATION OF VACANCIES
Machakos University was awarded a Charter on 7th October 2016 and is a successor of Machakos University College. It is located one (1) Km from Machakos Town along the main Machakos – Wote road.
The Vision of the University is: “A preferred University of Excellence in Scholarship and Service Delivery;” whereas the Mission of the University is: “To Provide Scholarly Education through Training, Research and Innovation for Industrial and Socioeconomic Transformation of our Communities.”
Machakos University invites applications from candidates who are suitably qualified and experienced with excellent credentials to fill the following vacant positions in the University:
Terms of Service: Permanent and Pensionable
Systems Librarian – GRADE 12 (1 Position) – MKsU/L/02/21
Requirements for Appointment
- Masters’ Degree in Library Studies, Library Science, Information Science, Computer Science or its equivalent qualification from a recognized institution.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Library Science, or its equivalent.
- Served in the position of Librarian II Grade 11 or comparable position for a minimum period of three (3) years.
- Competency in use of UNIX Language
- Have ability to maintain the Library’s Integrated online system
- Have ability to develop and maintain Library Softwares
- Proven experience on contemporary virtual platforms such as Dspace, or other repository tools.
- Have the ability to administer the Library Management System (KOHA)
- Registered with a relevant professional body.
- Possessionof any other certification or qualification will be an added advantage.
- Support the use and accessibility of the Library’s systems and databases by developing interfaces for users and developing, implementing, and maintaining SQL databases and related PHP and PERL scripts.
- Support the Library’s functions and operations by writing scripts to automate more routine system administration processes, setting up, configuring, and maintaining server hardware and software, uninterruptible power equipment, back-up systems, and storage devices.
- Installing and maintaining computer workstation hardware and software.
- Maintaining documentation of programs, databases, and computer system configurations, and performing routine back-up of essential systems to ensure system and data integrity in the event of hardware failure or other adverse events.
- Conducting thorough analysis of problems and employing appropriate debugging techniques.
- Ensure the availability of computer resources by managing disaster prevention and recovery efforts caused by events like power outages, hardware failures, etc.
- Contribute to the overall success of the Library by performing all other essential duties as assigned from time to time.
Ten (10) copies of applications should be submitted together with an updated Curriculum Vitae giving details of the applicant; age, marital status, academic and professional qualification, working experience, present post and salary, telephone contact, email address, names and referees plus copies of the certificates and testimonials. The reference number of the position applied should be clearly indicated. All applications be addressed to;
The Deputy Vice-Chancellor
Administration, Planning and Finance
P. O. BOX 136 – 90100
So as to reach not later than Monday 14th June, 2021. Any canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
Applicants are advised to contact their referees and request them to send their letters of reference to the above address. The referees should write and send their recommendations, under sealed envelopes before the advert deadline. A soft copy (one running pdf file) of the applicant must also be sent by e-mail to email@example.com. KINDLY NOTE THAT IT IS A MUST FOR STAFF TO TYPE IN THE REQUIRED INFORMATION IN THE JOB APPLICATION FORM AVAILABLE ON THE UNIVERSITY WEBSITE, PRINT, SIGN AND ATTACH TO THE APPLICATION.
N/B: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Machakos University is an equal opportunity employer and therefore applicants of either gender or persons living with disability or from marginalized areas are encouraged to apply.