Legal Officer – Grade KPC 6
The Legal Officers will undertake various roles in the following functional areas:
a) Job specifications
- Support the SLO (BS) in preparation and maintaining documentation associated with the board.
- Support the SLO (BS) in keeping membership rolls updated and reviewing and storage of pertinent organizational documents.
- Ensure that matters as regards the board are in order.
- Ensuring safe custody of all board documents and record- keeping thereof
- Retrieval of minutes / board resolutions when required
- Keep trail of implementation status of Board resolutions
- Ensure timely dispatch of the board notices, papers, letters and other
- correspondences to the directors.
- Coordinating the directors’ transport and offer administrative support to the Board
- Ensure appropriate maintenance of the Board attendance register, conflict of interest register, Board Committee meeting books and Full board minute books
Litigation and Compliance
- Prepare statements of evidence by witnesses and briefing papers for use by external lawyers in case Kenya Pipeline Company is taken to court.
- Assist the staff by providing information on legal processes that affect KPC.
- Establish and maintain contractual agreements with externally appointed professional legal firms to provide legal services in case of civil or criminal litigation involving Kenya Pipeline Company
- Brief witnesses and take notes of evidence
- Gather evidence in cases involving Kenya Pipeline Company to establish and verify basis for legal proceedings in order to formulate legal defense or to initiate legal action
- Conduct legal research, develop concept papers, prepare legal briefs and opinions as well as develop effective defense strategies, arguments and testimony in preparation for legal proceedings
- Provide technical leadership to teams to develop, implement and evaluate strategic management plans and budgets aimed at improving performance standards and organizational effectiveness
- Review incidents of violations against organizational policy and regulations; handle disputes and take appropriate action in line with approved policies, procedures and regulations.
- Assess staff performance, identify training needs, as well as design and implement training programmes to equip staff with appropriate job competencies in order to improve service delivery.
Property and Contracts
- Obtain details of assets to be insured in liaison with other departments.
- Prepare insurance procurement plan and insurance tender documents in liaison with the procurement department.
- Prepare and or vet contracts as assigned from time to time
- Prepare contracts for insurance brokerage firms in liaison with the procurement department.
- Receive and peruse policy documents to confirm KPC requirements are met, peruse risk notes and brokers’ reports, and vet all insurance payments.
- Advise the company on all insurance matters.
- Coordinate with external consultant’s risk surveys & insurance claims investigations.
- Manage all insurance policies/ contracts; effectively manage claims files for expedited settlement of claims.
- Liaise with heads of departments on claims documentation on company claims and with staff on staff personal injury claims.
- Monitor developments in legal research, participate in outreach programs to strengthen corporate governance and improve the quality of service delivery
- Provide technical leadership in the Company’s insurance program, monitor insurance budget performance and advise on the same.
- Prepare concept papers, board papers, periodic progress reports and annual reports showing organizational achievements against planned targets as well as providing justification for performance variances and areas of improvement.
b) Person specifications
- Bachelor of Laws (LLB) degree from a reputable University
- Post Graduate Diploma in Law from the Kenya School of Law
- Be an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya
- Minimum of four (4) years relevant experience
- Member of Law Society of Kenya
- Proficiency in computer applications
c) Key Skills and Competencies
- Comprehensive understanding of commercial law including legal and regulatory framework governing the regulation of financial sectors
- Strong communication skills and ability to develop proposals, concept papers, position papers as well as write reports and prepare relevant publications
- Flexibility and responsiveness in providing high quality customer service
- Proficiency in computer applications including word processing, spreadsheets, data base, presentation, email, internet etc.
- Ability to deliver Kenya Pipeline Company’s articulated vision for change, create a sense of urgency around change and motivate staff to join change efforts
- Ability to maintain professional status and keep abreast of evolving legal trends through continuing legal education, especially in the area of pensions
Interested candidates are requested to visit the KPC website www.kpc.co.ke under the Career Opportunities section where the Job Descriptions and Specifications as well as the User Manual containing instructions on how to apply for the positions have been posted.
All applications should be received not later than Tuesday, 18th May 2021.
Kenya Pipeline Company is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and gender equality. Women and persons with disability are encouraged to apply.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Any form of canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.