Post Number : 6KECI 0001PA
Grade : NO-C
Parent Sector : Communication and Information Sector (CI)
Duty Station: Nairobi
Job Family: Communication and Information
Type of contract : Project Appointment
Duration of contract : 1 year
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 03-MAY-2021
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization seeks to build peace through international cooperation in Education, the Sciences and Culture. UNESCO’s programmes contribute to the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals defined in Agenda 2030, adopted by the UN General Assembly in 2015.
As a specialized agency and knowledge-based organization, UNESCO depends on highly skilled, committed professionals. Given the ambitious and exciting challenges of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, our expertise and global presence in the fields of Education, the Sciences, Culture, and Communication and Information, is more relevant than ever. Geographically diverse and gender-balanced, UNESCO is committed to having a competent, motivated and dedicated workforce that acts with the highest integrity and is empowered to support UNESCO’s capacity to deliver on the sustainable development goals.
The Project Coordinator will be responsible to ensure the efficient and qualitative implementation of a UNESCO Communication and Information (CI) project funded by the European Union and entitled “Social Media 4 peace” in Kenya and will contribute to the CI sector work in the UNESCO Regional Office for Eastern Africa, by promoting freedom of expression in the country and raising the visibility of UNESCO’s mandate in that area. The project “Social Media 4 Peace” aims to strengthen resilience of fragile societies to potential harmful content spread online, in particular hate speech inciting to violence while enhancing freedom of expression and the promotion of peace through digital technologies, notably social media.
Under the direct supervision of the Communication and Information (CI) Specialist(s) in the UNESCO Regional Office for Eastern Africa and the overall supervision of the Director of the UNESCO Regional Office for Eastern Africa, in close collaboration with the UNESCO Coordinator of the project in Brussels and at UNESCO’s Headquarters, namely the Freedom of Expression and Safety of Journalists Section within the Communication and Information Sector, the incumbent will perform the following duties:
- Support the coordination and efficient qualitative implementation of the UNESCO Project “Social Media for Peace” in Kenya.
- Learn and efficiently use the UNESCO’s online systems for Contract management, budget planning, and reporting etc.
- Ensure the involvement and ownership of relevant partners and stakeholders in the coordination and implementation of the national activities of the project, notably relevant CSOs and INGOs, representatives of social media platforms, representatives of national authorities, etc.
- Support the office in liaising with the European Union Delegation in Kenya about the progress of the project implementation and with international and local organizations to avoid duplications and ensure synergies and cooperation where needed.
- Work closely with the partners selected to implement project activities, draft their Terms of Reference, prepare detailed budgets and contracts, monitor their contracts and progress, coordinate and follow-up to ensure the timely and qualitative delivery of the assignments as per the agreed contract. Examine the accuracy of the documents and reports submitted by partners and process various claims of payments/payment requests from the contractors or implementation partners, in accordance with UNESCO rules and provisions as well as in accordance with the requirements of the EU.
- Long Description
- Coordinate the organization of in-country activities including meetings and other events. Prepare minutes, reports, briefings, presentations, speaking points.
- As delegated, speak and/or actively participate in national and international conferences, workshops or trainings related to the theme of the project, as required by the CI Programme Specialist.
- Ensure the visibility of the Project results and impact and respect of the EU visibility Guidelines. Prepare public information products such as news items, infographics, audiovisual materials for the UNESCO website and social media channels, in coordination with the Project coordinator in Brussels.
- Compile project reports for the donor in coordination with the Project Coordinator in Brussels and provide targeted qualitative and quantitative inputs on the project implementation.
- Continuously collect and share data and studies concerning social media usage, the dissemination of hate speech and /or disinformation and freedom of expression in Kenya. Analyze them with a view to formulating guidance throughout the project implementation.
- Liaise with the 2 other Field Offices piloting the project, sharing outcomes of activities, lessons learnt and experience on a regular basis (at least once a month).
- Undertake duty travels if necessary.
- Work on any other activities that may be required to ensure the success of the Project implementation and perform any other duties as may be assigned by the Director or the CI specialist in UNESCO Regional Office for Eastern Africa.
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial)
Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C)
Planning and organizing (C)
Results focus (C)
For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework.
Advanced University Degree (Masters or higher) in journalism, political sciences, management, or in related fields of social and human sciences.
Minimum four (4) years of progressively responsible experience in project implementation and/or project management.
- Advanced knowledge of the media and social media landscape in Kenya and freedom of expression policy developments at national level, in particular in relation to online freedom of expression and the curbing of potential harmful content (disinformation, hate speech).
- Demonstrated experience in project development and management in an international environment, in particular good communication, time-management, and coordination, reporting and budget skills.
- Strong IT skills especially in MS-Excel, MS-Word, PowerPoint, etc.
- Demonstrated experience in developing strategies for communicating, using new technologies and social media channels in particular.
- Strong oral and written communication skills; capacity to write clear prose.
- Ability to work with and in multicultural teams.
- Ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines.
- Ability to be proactive and work independently.
- Knowledge of UNESCO’s work and mandate.
English and French are the working languages of the UNESCO Secretariat. For this post, excellent knowledge of English is required. Excellent knowledge of Swahili is also required.
Working experience in similar functions within the UN system.
SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.
BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
For more information in benefits and entitlements, please consult ICSC website.